1. License Number
Please note that all Greek tour operators and travel agencies need to be licensed as such with a valid license number from the Greek National Tourism Organization (GNTO).
2. Difference between driver guide & professional licensed tour guide
- The driver guide will drive you from one site to the other and will be waiting for you at a designated area. He will not accompany you to the archaeological sites and museums because he is not a professional licensed tour guide. All our drivers know Greek history and mythology and can tell you about the sites on the way there, but their knowledge is very limited.
- The professional licensed tour guide will ride in the vehicle and will visit all the archaeological sites and museums with you. It is highly recommended to hire a professional licensed tour guide so as to get a better understanding of Greek history and mythology.
3. Entrance Fees
- APRIL 1ST TO OCTOBER 31ST: 30 Euros in total for the archaeological sites in Athens (Acropolis Site, Greek Agora, Theatre of Dionysos, Kerameikos, Temple of Zeus, Roman Agora, Tower of Winds)*, Acropolis Museum [5 Euros], National Archaeological Museum [10 Euros], Cape Sounion [8 Euros], Ancient Corinth [8 Euros], Eleusis [3 Euros], Brauron [6 Euros], Marathon [6 Euros], Rhamnous [4 Euros], Mycenae [12 Euros], Nafplion [6 Euros], Nemea [6 Euros], Delphi [12 Euros], Epidaurus [12 Euros], Olympia [12 Euros], Mystras [12 Euros], Meteora [3 Euros per monastery]. * Or, Acropolis [20 Euros], Temple of Zeus [6 Euros].
- NOVEMBER 1 TO MARCH 31ST: 30 Euros in total for the archaeological sites in Athens (Acropolis Site, Greek Agora, Theatre of Dionysos, Kerameikos, Temple of Zeus, Roman Agora, Tower of Winds)*, Acropolis Museum [5 Euros], National Archaeological Museum [5 Euros], Cape Sounion [4 Euros], Ancient Corinth [4 Euros], Mycenae [6 Euros], Nafplion [3 Euros], Nemea [3 Euros], Delphi [6 Euros], Epidaurus [6 Euros], Olympia [6 Euros], Mystras [6 Euros], Meteora [3 Euros per monastery]. * Or, Acropolis [10 Euros], Temple of Zeus [3 Euros].
4. Free Admission Days
- 6 March [in memory of Melina Mercouri]
- 18 April [International Monuments Day]
- 18 May [International Museum Day]
- The last weekend of September annually [European Heritage Days]
- 28 October [National Holiday]
- The first Sunday of every month from 1 November to 31 March
- 1 January: closed
- 6 January: 08.30-15.00
- Shrove Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 25 March: closed
- Good Friday: closed until 12:00
- Holy Saturday: 08.30-15.00
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 1 May: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08.30-15.00
- 15 August: 08.30-15.00
- 28 October: 08.30-15.00
- 25 December: closed
- 26 December: closed
6. Free Admission
- Cultural Card holders.
- Escorting teachers during the visits of schools and institutions of Primary, Secondary and Tertiary education and of military schools.
- Members of Societies and Associations of Friends of Museums and Archaeological Sites, upon presentation of their certified membership card.
- Members of the ICOM-ICOMOS.
- Persons possessing a free admission card.
- The employees of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports and the Archaeological Receipts Fund, upon presentation of their service ID card.
- The official guests of the Greek government, with the approval of the General Director of Antiquities.
- University students and Students of Higher Education Institutes, Technological Educational Institutes, Military Schools or equivalent Schools of member states of the European Union, as well as Schools of Guides, upon presentation of their student identity card, Young people, under the age of 18, after demonstrating the Identity Card or passport to confirm the age.
- Children under the age of 18 years old.
- Tour Guides.
7. Reduced Admission
- Greek citizens and citizens of other Member – States of the European Union who are over 65 years old, upon presentation of their ID card or passport for verification of their age and country of origin.
- The accompanying parents on educational visits of elementary schools.
- University students and students at Technological Educational Institutes or equivalent schools from countries outside the EU by showing their student ID.
8. Sites’ Opening Hours
- From April 1st to October 31st: 08:00-20:00
- From November 1st to March 31st: Acropolis: 08:00-17:00, Temple of Zeus: 08:00-15:00
It really all did start here. The seat of democracy. The history and the culture is so rich you will never get bored or tired of learning and being amazed. Athens is a must during the summer but it is also becoming a very popular winter destination as the climate is excellent and there is lots to do and see. English is spoken by the vast majority of the local inhabitants, who are very helpful and warm. Crime rate in Athens is the lowest in the whole of Europe. You see few policemen and you can feel free and safe at all times. That is not to say some things do not happen – they do, but rarely do they involve the Greek people who are honest and very friendly. Actually the only crime to worry about is pick-pockets.
10. Weather in Greece Today
Please visit: http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/Greece.htm
11. Where to Stay
There is a huge variety of choices for you. The entire city was basically overhauled and fabulously improved for the Olympic Games in 2004, so you can now reap the benefit of the hotels which have raised their standards dramatically. The best locations to stay are Plaka, Syntagma Square, and Acropolis area. For the overnight stays outside Athens you can either book the hotels on your own or I can book them for you (within your budget range, of course). The hotels that I recommend are family owned, clean and not very expensive.
12. What to Wear
You can wear whatever you like. Casual clothing will be fine. If visiting a religious place of worship you will need to be guided on attire, but generally speaking even there, there is no problem.
We have made every effort to ensure the accuracy of all the above information. Visiting hours, dates, entrance fees, etc might change without any prior notification. We are not responsible for any changes or, errors.